Dr. Kazi Nadim Hasan
Dr Nadim is the Professor of the Department of Biochemistry & Microbiology of School of Helath and Life Sciences at North South University. He was appointed as an Assistant Professor in the Department in June 2009. Before that he had been associated with NSU as Part-time Faculty in the rank of Assistant Professor since January 2008. He had been promoted to Associate Professor on December, 2011. Dr Nadim served as the Chair of the Department from January, 2013 to May, 2014.
Dr Nadim secured top position by achieving 1st Class both in my BS (Hons) and MSc in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from the
Dr Nadim completed his PhD in the area of Human Molecular Genetics and Molecular Medicine from the Department of Laboratory Medicine, Internal Medicine, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Hirosaki University, Japan. His research works during PhD tenure also resulted three publications in internationally reputed journals.
He conducted reserach works on the association of gene polymorhisms in life style related disorders, Gene expression profilling of platelets in enahnced aggregation and Micro RNA expression analysis in AVP stimulated hematopoetic progenitor cells. The title of his PhD dissertation was " Role of vasopressin V1a receptor (V1aR) gene polymorphism in essential hypertension, type 2 diabetes mellitus and platelet responsiveness to vasopressin".
Publications1. Mashfiqul-Hasan, Hasanat MA , Nadim-Hasan K , Sandesh-Panthi , Yasmin-Aktar , Nusrat-Sultana , Sharmin-Jahan ,
2. M.A. Khaleque, C.A. Keya, K.N. Hasan, M.M. Hoque, Y. Inatsu, M.L. Bari. Use of cloves and cinnamon essential oil to
inactivate Listeria monocytogenes in ground beef at freezing and refrigeration temperatures. LWT - Food Science
and Technology 2016; 74: 219 – 223.
4. Ashish Kumar Majumder, Md. Abdul Khaleque, Kazi Nadim Hasan, Lamyah Sultana Meem and Sharif
Akhteruzzaman. Two cases of Klinefelter Syndrome identified by quantitative fluorescence PCR (QF-PCR). Bioresearch
Communications 2015; 1(1): 17 – 21.
6. Kazi Nadim Hasan, Fahmida Nasrin, M Abu Taher, Sharif Neaz, Sohidul Islam, Obaidur Rahman, Ishrat Jabeen, M
Abdul Khaleque, Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Comparative Analysis of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) RNA, Anti-HCV and Liver
Transaminase Levels as Markers and Predictors of infectivity in HCV Infection. BJMS 2012; 18(2):120 – 125.
8. Obaidur Rahman, Kazi Nadim Hasan, Abdul Khaleque, Ishrat Jabeen, Sohidul Islam. Dietary Intake of Urea from Puffed
Rice (Muri) in Bangladesh. BJMS 2012; 18(1): 53 – 57.
10. Hasan KN, Shoji M, Sugimoto K, Tsutaya S, Matsuda E, Kudo R, Nakaji S, Suda T, Yasujima M. Association of novel
promoter single nucleotide polymorphisms in vasopressin V1a receptor gene with essential hypertension in nonobese
Japanese. J Hum Hypertens. 2007; 21(10):825-7.
12. Hasan KN, Shoji M, Tsutaya S, Kudo R, Matsuda E, Saito J, Kimura T, Yasujima M. Study of V1a vasopressin receptor
gene single nucleotide polymorphisms in platelet vasopressin responsiveness. J Clin Lab Anal. 2006; 20(3): 87-92.
13. Aziz MM, Khan AY, Hasan KN, Azad Khan AK, Hassan MS. Comparison between IS6110 and MPB64 primers for the
diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Bangladesh by polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Bangladesh Med Res Counc
Bull. 2004; 30: 87-94.
14. Hasanat MA, Rumi MA, Alam MN, Ahmed S, Hasan KN, Khan AY, Salimullah M, Mahtab H, Khan AK. Urinary iodine
status and thyroid dysfunction: a Bangladesh perspective. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull. 2004; 30:16-24.
15. Parvez MA, Hasan KN, Rumi MA, Ahmed S, Salimullah M, Tahera Y, Gomes DJ, Huq F, Hassan MS. PCR can help
early diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2003; 34: 147-53.
16. Aziz MM, Hasan KN, Hasanat MA, Siddiqui MA, Salimullah M, Chowdhury AK, Ahmed M, Alam MN, Hassan MS.
Predominance of the DEN-3 genotype during the recent dengue outbreak in Bangladesh. Southeast Asian J Trop Med
Public Health. 2002; 33:42-8.
17. Hasan KN, Rumi MA, Hasanat MA, Azam MG, Ahmed S, Salam MA, Islam LN, Hassan MS. Chronic carriers of hepatitis B
virus in Bangladesh: a comparative analysis of HBV-DNA, HBeAg/anti-HBe, and liver function tests. Southeast Asian J Trop
Med Public Health. 2002; 33:110-7
18. Gibney L, Saquib N, Macaluso M, Hasan KN, Aziz MM, Khan AY, Choudhury P. STD in Bangladesh's trucking industry:
prevalence and risk factors. Sex Transm Infect. 2002; 78: 31-6.
19. Sayeed MA, Hassan MS, Hasan KN, Parvez MA, Khan AY, Salimullah M, Khanam PA, Mahtab H, Khan AK. Genetic
background of diabetic and nondiabetic sibs in young Bangladeshis. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull. 2000; 26:69-74.
20. Rumi MA, Siddiqui MA, Salam MA, Iqbal MR, Azam MG, Chowdhury AK, Khan AYM, Hasan KN, Hassan MS. Prevalence of
infectious diseases and drug abuse among Bangladeshi workers. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2000; 31:
21. Hasanat MA, Rumi MA, Alam MN, Hasan KN, Salimullah M, Salam MA, Fariduddin M, Mahtab H, Khan AK. Status of
antithyroid antibodies in Bangladesh. Postgrad Med J. 2000; 76: 345-9.
22. Rumi MA, Begum K, Hassan MS, Hasan SM, Azam MG, Hasan KN, Shirin M, Khan AK. Detection of hepatitis B surface
antigen in pregnant women attending a public hospital for delivery: implication for vaccination strategy in Bangladesh. Am
J Trop Med Hyg. 1998; 59: 318-22.
Conference PapersGolam Azam, MAK Rumi, Kazi Nadim Hasan, AK Khan. Family members at risk of hepatitis B due to horizontal transmission. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 21:A16-A16 · March 2006.
Awards and Honours
Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Hirosaki University, Japan
University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
1) Professor, Department of Biology & Chemistry, North South University
February 4, 2016 - till now
2) Associate Professor, Dept. of Biology & Chemistry, North South University
December 26, 2011 – February 3, 2016
Chairman, Dept. of Biology & Chemistry, North South University
January 01, 2013 – May 18, 2014
3) Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biology & Chemistry, North South University
Summer 2009 – Fall 2011
4) Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biology & Chemistry, North South University
January,2008 to May, 2009
Bangladesh Institute of Research and Rehabilitation in Diabetes, Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders (BIRDEM)-
Department of Immunology
As Research Officer
Before PhD: 1996 – 2003
As Post Doctoral Research Fellow after PhD: 2007-2009
Research and Professional experiences
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, School of Life Sciences, North South University
Ongoing research involving
Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Japan; PhD Research
Also involved in-
University of Dhaka, Bangladesh; M.Phil thesis
University of Dhaka, Bangladesh; M.Sc thesis
Department of Immunology, BIRDEM; Research (Employment tenure)
Department of Immunology, BIRDEM (Employment tenure)
Part-time Faculty in the Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, School of Health and Life Sciences, North South University Spring 2008 – Spring 2009
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, North South University December 26, 2011 – February 03, 2016
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Hirosaki University School of Medicine 2003 – 2007
Human Molecular Genetics, Molecular Medicine, Molecular Diagnostics, Infectious disease Immunology and Epidemiology.