|Details of Research Works:|
PAPERS PUBLISHED IN PROFESSIONAL JOURNALS
1. ?The Nexus of Growth, Investment and Decent Work
in South Asian Sub-Region : Bangladesh Country
Paper?. Study prepared for the ILO and presented
at the ?High-Level Tripartite, Meeting on the
Nexus of Growth, Investment and Decent Work?
held in New Delhi, April 3-4, 2007
(The conference volume is being published by
Cambridge University Press and forthcoming in
2. ?Bad Governance and Good Success : The Readymade
Garment Industry in Bangladesh?, in Nurul Islam
and M. Asaduzzaman (eds.), A Ship Adrift :Governance
and Development in Bangladesh. Dhaka : Bangladesh
Institute of Development Studies (BIDS), July 2008.
3. ?Economic Cooperation between East Asia and South
Asia : Bangladesh Country Study?. Study prepared for
the Asian Development Bank, January 2007 (being
published as ?Bangladesh? in J. Francois, P.Rana and
G. Wignaraja (eds.), National Perspectives on East
Asia ? South Asia Economic Relations. Manila : Asian
Development Bank, June 2008).
4. ?Revitalizing Government to Cope With Globalization:
A Case Study of Bangladesh.? Paper presented at a
regional forum on ?Revitalizing Government in South
Asia : Public Sector Capacity and Globalization?
sponsored by the United Nations Department of
Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA) and United
Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and held in
Hyderabad, India from December 13-15, 2004. To be
published in the Conference Volume by UNDP and
5. ?Implementing the South Asian Free Trade Agreement
(SAFTA) : Challenges and Possible Roadmap?. biiss
Journal, Vol. 25, No. 4, October 2004 (coauthor :
6. ?The Asian Financial Crisis and South Asia : An
Overview,? in M. Ali Rashid (ed.), The Asian
Financial Crisis and South Asia: Impacts, Responses
and Policy Implications. (CIRDAP) September 2003.
7. ?Globalization, Growth and Employment in Bangladesh,
?in M. Muqtada, A Singh and M. Ali Rashid (eds.),
Bangladesh : Economic and Social Challenges of
Globalization. University Press Limited, Dhaka,
8. ?Economic Policy Reforms in South Asia,? in
S. Reza (ed.), Export-led Growth Strategy for
South Asia: Prospects and Challenges. Asian and
Pacific Development Centre (APDC), Kuala Lumpur,
9. ?Governance and the External Sector,? in Rehman
Sobhan (ed.) Independent Review of Bangladesh?s
Development 1997. University Press Limited , Dhaka
10. ?Trade Policy Reforms in Bangladesh and Its Impact
on Intra-regional Trade??, paper presented at
ESCAP/UNDP/BIDS National Seminar on `Networking of
Trade Related Research Institution in Asia and the
Pacific?, held in Dhaka during 23-24 October 1996
(Being published by ESCAP in the Conference Volume).
11. ?Foreign Direct Investment in Bangladesh: Problems
and Prospects,? in M.G. Quibria (ed.),
The Bangladesh Economy in Transition,
Oxford University Press (for the Asian Development
Bank), 1996 (Co-author).
12. ?Combating Poverty Through Employment Creation:
The Bangladesh Experience?, in A. Kalam (ed.),
Bangladesh: Internal Dynamics and External
Linkages, University Press Limited, Dhaka, 1996.
13. ?Sustainable Agricultural Development Strategies
in Bangladesh : Economic Reforms and Policy Issues
for Sustainable Agricultural Resource Management,
?? in Centre on Integrated Rural Development for
Asia and the Pacific (CIRDAP), Final Report on
ESCAP-CIRDAP National Workshop on Sustainable
Agricultural Development Strategies in Bangladesh,
Dhaka, 10-11 September 1996.
14. ?Industrial Policy in Bangladesh: A critical
Appraisal?, Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy,
Vol. XIII, No.1, July 1995 (Co-author).
15. ?Bangladesh: Output and Employment Effects of
Recent Macroeconomic Policy Reforms? in ILO-ARTEP,
Social Dimensions of Economic Reforms in Bangladesh,
ILO-ARTEP: New Delhi, 1993.
16. ?Socio-economic Impact of Shallow Tubewell
Irrigation: Some Evidence from Selected Areas of
Bangladesh?, The Dhaka University Journal of
Business Studies. Vol.XIII, No.2, December 1992.
17. ?Bangladesh: Health for All by the Year 2000??,
Social Science Review, Vol.IX, no.1, June 1992.
18. ?Foreign Investment Policy? in Report of the Task
Forces on Bangladesh Development Strategies for
the 1990s: Managing the Development Process,
Vol.2, Dhaka: University Press Ltd., 1991, PP 39-98
19. ?The Duty Drawback Scheme for Promoting Exports in
Bangladesh: Review of Issues and Some Suggested
Changes?, The Jahangirnagar Review, Part II, Social
Science, Vol.XIII & XIV, 1989-91.
20. ?Supply Responsiveness of Selected Agricultural
Crops in Bangladesh?, in Mosharaff Hossain (ed.),
Agriculture in Bangladesh: Performance, Problems
and Prospects, University Press Ltd., Dhaka, 1991.
21. ?The Balance of Payments Effects of Private Foreign
Investment: A Case Study of Bangladesh?, Bangladesh
Development Studies, Vol.XIV, Sept. 1986 (Co-author)
22. ?Foreign Aid and Inflation in Bangladesh: Reply?,
Social Science Review, June 1985.
23. ?Export Processing Zone in Bangladesh: Tantalus?
Cup??, The Journal of the Asiatic Society,
December 1985 (Co-author).
24. ?Foreign Aid and Inflation in Bangladesh?, Social
Science Review, December 1984.
25. ?An Analysis of Inflation in a Developing Economy:
The Case of Bangladesh?, The Journal of Management
Business and Economics, January 1985 (Co-author).
26. ?The Pattern of Private Foreign Investment in
Bangladesh: Some Preliminary Findings?, The Kashmir
Economic Review, July 1984 (Co-author).
27. ?Modelling the Developing Economy: Philippines?,
The Developing Economies, Vol.22, no.3, Sept. 1984.
28. ?Western European Aid to Bangladesh: Evaluation of
Performance and Policies?, in Olav Stokke (ed.),
European Development Assistance, Oslo, Norwegian
Institute of International Affairs, 1984, pp.45-82
29. ?A Macroeconometric Model of Bangladesh?,
Bangladesh Development Studies, Vol.9, no.3, 1981.
CONFERENCE PAPERS, RESEARCH REPORTS, MONOGRAPHS, etc.
1. ?Background Paper on Manufacturing and Trade?.
Study prepared for formulation of Outline
Participatory Perspective Plan (OPPP) Project,
General Economics Division, Planning Commission,
Govt. of Bangladesh, April 2009.
2. ?Linking Aid for Trade (AFT) with Trade, Development
and Poverty Reduction : Some Thoughts?. Paper
presented at the International Conference on
?Civil Society Organisations and Aid for Trade :
Roles and Realities? organized by CUTS International,
DFID and Ministry of Foreign Affairs, The Netherlands
and held in Nairobi, Kenya, March 15-16, 2007.
3. ?SAFTA : Trade Liberalization Programme (Tariff
Measures) : Some Issues?. Paper presented at the
?Final Meeting on Regional Economic Cooperation in
South Asia?, Kathmandu, 14-16 August 2006; organized
by CUTS-CITEE in association with FES.
4. ?Post ? MFA RMG Sector Information Needs Assessment
Study.? March 2005 (co-author Salma Begum). Report
prepared for GTZ, Dhaka.
5. ?Social Protection in Bangladesh: A Situational
Study?, April 2004, Report prepared for the ILO,
6. ?Food Price Structure in Selected Countries in South
Asia : An Overview?, February 2004, Report prepared
for CIRDAP, Dhaka.
7. ?Position Paper on Trade Facilitation?, January 2004,
Report prepared for UNCTAD, Dhaka.
8. ?Globalization, Growth and Employment?. January 2001,
ILO/UNDP SPPD Project on Social Impact of
Globalization: Role of Policy, Dhaka.
9. ?Impact of Trade Policy Reforms on Industrial
Capacity and Employment in Bangladesh?,
December 2000, Structural Adjustment Participatory
Review Initiative (SAPRI) Bangladesh, Dhaka;
available at http://www.saprin.org/bangladesh/
10. ?The Asian Financial Crisis and South Asia:
Impacts, Responses and Policy Implications -
An Overview?, September 2000, Centre on Integrated
Rural Development for Asia and the Pacific (CIRDAP),
11. ?Awareness Creation and Human Resources Development
in the Field of Intellectual Property? Paper
presented at the WIPO Asian Seminar on Implications
of Intellectual Property and the TRIPS Agreement for
Least Developed Countries, Dhaka, 21-23 July, 1998.
12. ?Assessment of Trade-Related Technical Cooperation
Needs : The Bangladesh Position??. Paper prepared
for Ministry of Commerce, Government of Bangladesh,
13. ?Experience of Asian Developing Countries in the
Implementation of the Uruguay Round Agreements:
Bangladesh Country Paper?, Paper presented at the
?Symposium on Trade Promotion and Development in the
Context of the Emerging Multilateral Trading System?
organized by the Commonwealth Secretariat and held
at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 9-12 June, 1997.
14. ?Trade and Investment in South Asia: Looking to the
Future?, Paper presented at the Conference on
?Towards South Asian Integration: Restructuring the
Economy, Polity and Society? organized by Queen
Elizabeth House, University of Oxford, at Colombo
during 4-6 August 1995.
15. ?Study on the Likely Impact of the Recent GATT
Agreement on Trade, Growth and Employment in the
Textile (including Garments) Sector and Selected
Areas of the Service Sector in Bangladesh?. Report
Prepared for the World Bank and Metropolitan
Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Dhaka,
16. ?Aid Conditionalities and Their Impact on Economic
Management in Bangladesh?, Report prepared for
USAID, Dhaka, February 1994.
17. ?Estimating Road User Charges in Bangladesh?,
Component Study of Bangladesh Transport Sector
Study, World Bank, July 1993.
18. ?Macroeconomic Policy Reforms, Growth and Employment
in Bangladesh?, Mimeo, ILO-ARTEP, New Delhi, 1993.
19. ?The Dilemma of Liberalizing Trade in Bangladesh:
Some Reflections? (mimeo), International Development
Center, Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford University,
20. ?Study on Health and Education?, (Background Study
for the Fourth Five Year Plan/Perspective Plan for
Bangladesh), Bureau of Economic Research,
Dhaka University and Planning Commission,
Government of Bangladesh, Dhaka, June 1991.
21. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Electrical Goods
Industry?, TC/EPS-TIP-Doc-58,World Bank/ Government
of Bangladesh, December 1988.
22. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Cosmetic Industry?
,TC/EPS-TIP/Doc-55, World Bank/ Government of
Bangladesh, Dhaka, October 1988.
23. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Leather Tanning
Industry?, TC/EPS-TIP/Doc-53, World Bank/ Government
of Bangladesh, Dhaka, August 1988.
24. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Handloom Industry?
,TC/EPS-TIP/Doc-52, World Bank/ Government of
Bangladesh, Dhaka, June 1988.
25. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Cotton Spinning
Industry?, TC/EPS-TIP/R-II, World Bank/ Government
of Bangladesh, Dhaka, March, 1988.
26. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Footwear Industry?
,TC/EPS-TIP/Doc-22 World Bank/ Government of
Bangladesh, Dhaka, January 1988.
27. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Fertilizer
Industry?, TC/EPS-TIP/Doc-30, Sept. 1986.
28. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Thread Spooling
Industry?, TC/EPS-TIP/Doc-36, World Bank/
Government of Bangladesh, Dhaka, April 1986.
29. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Indigenous
Lead Acid Accumulator Battery Manufacturing
Industry?, TC/EPS-TIP/Doc-19, World Bank/Government
of Bangladesh, Dhaka, January 1986.
30. ?An Analysis of Assistance to the Bicycle and Parts
Manufacturing Industry?, TC/EPS-TIP/Doc-19, World
Bank/Government of Bangladesh, Dhaka, December 1984.
31. ?Poverty in Rural Bangladesh?, Monograph,
University Research Center, Dhaka, January 1986
32. ?An Analysis of the Balance of Payments of
Bangladesh and Its Relationship with Economic
Development?, Monograph, Bureau of Economic
Research, Dhaka University, Sept. 1984.
33. ?The Foreign Exchange Constraint in Economic
Development: Myth or Reality??, Paper presented
at the ?Third New Zealand Conference on Asian
Studies?, Auckland University, 1979.
34. ?Foreign Aid and Economic Development: An
Examination of Some Theoretical Issues With Special
Reference to Bangladesh, Malaysia, and the
Philippines?, Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, University
of Newcastle, October 1980.