Code of Conduct
2.1 Free Expression and Disruption
Being an academic institution, the university is committed to the expression and constructive debate of alternative views, theory and data. It recognizes and respects all peaceful and nonobstructive forms of dissent, whether individual or collective, that are within the university regulations and which do not interfere with the regular and essential operation of the university. Disruption, in this context, has been defined as an action or combination of actions by an individual or a group that unreasonably interferes with, hinders, obstructs or prevents the smooth and regular functioning and operations of North South University, including the holding of classes and all administrative functions. If an action is determined by the university authority as disruptive, designated persons shall have the right to restrain or prohibit such a behavior. 2.2 Intolerance
The university aims and strives to maintain an environment that is tolerant and respectful toward others irrespective of gender, race, religion, class, political affiliation, caste, status or position in the university or the community at large. To this end,intolerance refers to an attitude, feeling or belief wherein individual shows contempt for other individuals or groups based on the characteristics mentioned above. As stated in the policy statement on free expression, the expression of diverse moderate views and opinions is encouraged and any attempts to (hamper) obstruct such expression will be considered an act of disruption by university authorities. 2.3 Physical Abuse
North South University is committed to the safety and well-being of all its members and strives to maintain an environment that is free from acts of violence. The university will not tolerate any acts of physical violence, such as beating, punching, kicking, unwanted physical contact with a person and the like by any member of the University community. 2.4 Smoking
North South University campus is absolutely smoking free. Achievement of this goal will require the willingness, understanding, and patience of all members of the campus community. The following guidelines are designed to accomplish this goal:
» Code of Conduct in Bengali..
- 2.4.1 Prohibition guideline:
Smoking is prohibited anywhere within the boundary of the university. Carrying cigarette, lighter or any other means to produce fire is also prohibited inside the boundary of the campus.
- 2.4.2 Penalty
- a) The punishment against a first offence of smoking is a penalty of taka 500.00 only
- b) The punishment against a second offence of smoking is a penalty of taka 3000.00 only and notification to the legal guardian.
- c) The punishment against further offence of smoking is to be decided by the Disciplinary Committee.
- d) The punishment against first offence of carrying cigarette, lighter or any other means to produce fire will be the seizure of the items. The report of further offence by the same person will go to Proctor’s Office and eventually to Disciplinary Committee.
- 2.5 On-Campus Promotional Activities
- 2.5.1 Promoting business ventures, commercial activities or social causes in the form of banners, posters, sample demonstrations, stalls, and product placement by parties outside North South University should be subjected to scrutiny by the Proctor's Office. Products, services or ventures that go against NSU code of ethics, academic environment and restrictions set by government legislative bodies will not be allowed in any form of public demonstration on-campus. Size, dimension and area of display must follow the instruction of the Proctor's Office.
- 2.5.2 Promoting on campus activities by clubs,academic schools and other departments of NSU will have to go through similar scrutiny. Student clubs, while negotiating with sponsors outside NSU, must declare NSU code of ethics to the sponsor(s). Any kind of misappropriation and influence to diverge from the standard set by NSU authority will be deemed as violation of code of conduct.